Organic traffic is the web based traffic which you are naturally able to attract to your site without using any short cuts or paid submissions for the promotion of a website. This traffic is an unpaid listing on search engines or web directories.
Just the other day I came across a site that had a serious drop in its Organic traffic and this got me thinking of strategies that could be used help the site recover from this slump in Search visits.
Anywoo, I thought I’d write a short blog – (well 3 short tips to think about actually) – that you can employ in order to Increase Organic Search Engine Traffic to your site.
1. Choosing keywords –Choose your keywords wisely and implement them correctly. Get a mixture of longtail keywords as well with your niche keywords. Longtail keywords drive some major traffic to your site if focused on over the long term.
According to SEOWizz, “Carry out a keyword search using each variation to find more low competition longtail keywords … depending on the niche keywords, start writing and incorporate the longtails NATURALLY”.
• 75% of all search’s are longtail keywords
• 20% of search’s everyday are completely unique to Google’s algorithm
The right keywords on your site creates powerful content that can be crawled and searched by search engines more efficiently – therefore giving better Search Engine Results Positioning (SERP’s).
2. Optimised Copywriting & Keyword Density – One method to increase traffic to your site through organic traffic is by having your copy re-written and optimised with the keywords you would like to target for that page. Bearing in mind that a web page can only be optimised for no more than 2 – 3 keywords (your primary, secondary and tertiary keywords), make sure you add unique content in your copy for your site as possible.
Other simple strategies to consider in your copy include:
• Header tags for your page titles (include your keyword)
• Linking keywords to other relevant pages on your site
• Bolding of important keywords on the web page
Click the image below to see an example of a Perfectly Optimised Web Page by SEOmoz
3. Analyze your competitors sites – It is vital that you take a look at the keywords that your competitors are ranking high for. The keyword tool you can use for this is the Google External Keyword Tool. This may give you an idea as to other keywords that you may have missed out in your research.
It would also be advisable to find your current position in the major search engines. Analysing your competitors ‘result positioning’ – SERP’s – on search engines compared to your positioning not only allows you to draw up a real-time comparison between you and the competitor, but will help you get a clear idea of where you rank for keywords compared to you competitor.
Note: I always think of it as a chance to be motivated or seat back a gloat at your competitors SERP’s.
Last thoughts: Always remember that a web page can only be optimised for no more than 2 or 3 keywords, and as SEOWizz says, “anymore than that and you’re simply giving your page too much work to do”.
For more resources on Increasing Organic Traffic, read:
• SEOWizz: Increase Organic Search Engine Traffic The Easy Way
• SEOMoz: URL Rewriting – Increase Organic Traffic By Using Dynamic URLs That Look Static